All About Youth and Development Triathlon Squads
The aim of the TriHB Junior Tri Squads is to foster a positive group training and racing experience for youngsters mostly aged between 11-14 for the Youth Squad and 14-18 for the Development Squad who are keen to progress their triathlon.
The Youth and Development Squad coaches are Ali Hollington and Ken Maclaren of KinEli Coaching who between them have fifty years of triathlon experience and twenty five years of coaching background. They coach and run the youth and development squad on behalf of TriHB.
The coaching involves around 60-70 organised sessions between July and March along with further input and advice from the coaches.
- Squad sessions are on a variety of days, locations and times according to the training calendar which is sent out on a regular basis.
- Training is never cancelled because of the weather.
- Squad members can chose to attend sessions when they are able.
- Squad members can train outside of squad sessions at a level of their choosing.
- New members can join throughout the year.
Want to try it?
If you’d like to come and join in with some sessions to try it out please contact:
Ken Maclaren email@example.com 844 1780, 027 674 2176
All new members come and join in for a few weeks at no cost before joining properly.
Squad members should:
- Be a member of TriHB.
- Own a road worthy road bike.
- Be experienced at cycling safely on the open road.
- Be able to swim at least 400m.
- Be keen on triathlon.
- Have a ‘can do, want to’ attitude.
- Have or get a wetsuit for summer swimming in the open water.
Cycling can be dangerous around 15 cyclists a year get killed in New Zealand. Ride safely at all times.
Parents, you need to be confident that your children are safe on the open roads.
If we think your bike or you aren’t safe for the day you won’t be able to ride with us. Some training rides may only be available to some of the squad at a time.